WHAT INFORMATION DOES BOOKFUEL COLLECT?
The Information we gather from consumers and customers enables BookFuel to personalize and improve our services and to allow our consumers and customers to set up accounts on the Website. In connection with the Website, we request and display some Information to other consumers and visitors of the Website, which allows consumers to identify authors and goods on the Website. We collect the following types of information from our consumers and customers.
Information Collected Automatically:
- We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with our Website or services. BookFuel automatically receives and records information in our server logs from your browser including your IP address, BookFuel cookie information, the page you requested, and the media you have consumed (e.g., viewed, played, downloaded, uploaded, and shared).
- Generally, our service automatically collects usage information, such as the numbers and frequency of visitors to our site and its components, similar to TV ratings that indicate how many people watched a particular show. This type of data enables us to figure out how often consumers use parts of the Website or services so that we can make the Website appealing to as many consumers as possible, and improve those services.Information You Provide to Us:
- We receive and store any information you enter on our Website or provide to us in any other way. The types of Information collected include, without limitation, your full name, email address, mailing address, phone number, IP address, browser information, password, contact information, transactional information based on your activities on the Website, and media consumed on the Website including, but not limited to, media viewed (including eBooks), played, downloaded, uploaded, and shared. You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but then you may not be able to take advantage of many of our special features.
- All financial information, such as credit card or bank account information is stored and protected at Chase Paymentech, a subsidiary of JP Morgan Chase Chase Paymentech that provides BookFuel and its customers with a fully PCI-compliant method to process online payments. We do not store credit card information in our data bases.What About Cookies?
- Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and tell us how and when pages in our site are visited and by how many people.
The Information you provide is used for purposes such as responding to your requests for certain products and services, customizing the content you see, communicating with you about specials, sales offers, and new features, and responding to problems with our services.
BookFuel may use all of the Information that we collect from our users to understand usage trends and consumer and customer preferences, to improve the way the Website works and looks, to improve our marketing and promotional efforts, and to create new features and functionalities.
BookFuel may use automatically-collected information and cookie information to: (a) remember your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Website; (b) provide custom, personalized advertisements, content, and information; (c) monitor the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns; and (d) monitor aggregate usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed.
BookFuel may use your email address or other personally-identifiable information of yours to promote or market information or to provide you with information about a specific program or feature you have elected to participate in or receive information about.
WILL BOOKFUEL SHARE ANY OF THE INFORMATION IT RECEIVES?
Except as expressly described below, we neither rent nor sell your Information to other people or nonaffiliated companies. We may share your Information when we have your permission, and we may share your Information under the following circumstances: We (i) provide Information to the content owners (e.g., authors and publishers) that relates to their fans/readers (e.g., regarding which fans are consuming and sharing what pieces of media at what levels), subject to the ability of such fans to opt-out of promotional communications, and (ii) may provide aggregate information to our partners about how our consumers or customers, collectively, use our site (e.g., we share this type of statistical data so that our partners also understand how often people use their services and our Website, so that they, too, may provide you with an optimal online experience).
BookFuel may share your posted comments to visitors of the www.BookFuel.com site. Comments will be identified using your personally created “handle”. If you have not created a handle, BookFuel will identify you using your first name and the first letter of your last name. BookFuel will also display any other profile information that you have added to your profile including your website, Facebook profile like, book pages, etc. that you have decided is appropriate to share publically. Only registered users of BookFuel will be able to create and share comments. By registering with BookFuel you are giving us your permission to share your posted comments as described above.
Third-party Service Providers:
We employ other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and need to share your information with them to provide products or services to you. Examples of such information include, without limitation, fulfilling orders, sending email, analyzing data, processing credit card information, and providing customer service. Unless we tell you differently, such third-party service providers do not have any right to use Information we share with them beyond what is reasonably necessary to assist us. You hereby consent to our sharing of Information for the above purposes.
If BookFuel, or all or any portion of its business or assets, are acquired, sold, or otherwise transferred, including in any merger or other transaction, or in the highly unlikely event that BookFuel goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, consumer and customer Information would be one of the assets that is transferred to or acquired by the successor or acquirer (or a third-party through bankruptcy). You acknowledge and agree that such transfers may occur in any of these circumstances, and that any acquirer or successor or other party acquiring all or any portion of BookFuel’s business or assets may continue to use your Information as set forth in this policy.
Protection of BookFuel and Others:
We may release Information when we believe in good faith that such a release is necessary to comply with any applicable laws, rules or regulations; enforce or apply our conditions of use and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of BookFuel, our employees, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Opt-In for Promotions:
We do not share personally-identifiable information with other third-party organizations for their marketing or promotional use without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in.
With Your Consent:
Except as set forth above, you will be notified when your Information may be shared with third parties, and will have the option of preventing the sharing of this information.
IS INFORMATION ABOUT ME SECURE?
Your BookFuel account Information is protected by a password for your privacy and security. You need to protect unauthorized access to your account and Information by selecting and protecting your password appropriately and limiting access to your computer and browser by signing off after you have finished accessing your account. If you share your password or your Information with others, remember that you are responsible for all actions taken in the name of your account. If you lost control of your password, you may lose substantial control over your Information and may be subject to legally binding actions taken on your behalf. Therefore, if you password has been compromised for any reason, you should immediately notify BookFuel and change your password.
BookFuel attempts to protect user information to ensure that user account information is kept private; however, BookFuel cannot guarantee or ensure the security of user account information. Not even the U.S. government is fully capable of securing highly-sensitive personal and national security information from unauthorized access, use, and exploitation. Unauthorized entry or use by third parties, hardware or software failure, and other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time, including your Information.
WHAT INFORMATION CAN I ACCESS?
BookFuel may allow you to access certain information about you through the user profile view and author view for the purpose of viewing, and in certain situations, updating that information.
WHAT CHOICES DO I HAVE?
- As stated previously, you can always opt not to disclose Information to us; provided, however, that in order to purchase goods from us as a customer or to make goods available for sale as a client, you will have to provide us with Information. If you are unwilling to provide Information, then you cannot purchase or sell goods through the BookFuel-managed domains.
- You are able to add or update certain information on pages, such as those listed in the “What Information Can I Access” section above. When you update information, however, we often maintain a copy of the unrevised information in our records.
- You may request deletion of your BookFuel account by contacting BookFuel’s customer support at Authorinfo@BookFuel.com. Please note that some information may remain in our records after deletion of your account.
- You will be able to opt-out of receiving e-mail notices or solicitations from BookFuel or our affiliates by responding to a link included in each e-mail notice or solicitation.THIRD-PARTY ADVERTISERS; LINKS TO OTHER SITES
Consistent with the federal Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (“COPPA”), we will never knowingly collect personally-identifiable information from anyone under the age of thirteen (13) without requiring parental consent. Any person who provides their personal information to BookFuel through the Website represents that they are 13 years of age or older.
NOTE TO INTERNATIONAL USERS
The Website is hosted in the United States. If you are a customer or client accessing the Website from the European Union, Asia, or any other region with laws or regulations governing personal data collection, use, and disclosure, that differ from United States laws, then please note that you are transferring your personal data to the United States which does not have the same data protection laws as the EU and other regions.
By providing your personal data to BookFuel through the Website, you consent to:
- The transfer of your personal data to the United States as indicated above.